Sunday, December 6, 2015

RS Christmas Party

Last Thursday, we had our ward's RS (Relief Society) Christmas Party. It was beautiful!! Yummy food, awesome friends and company, and a wonderful message of Christ's birth. There was also some musical numbers. . . . I happened to participate in one of them. Let me tell you, I love love LOVE to SING!!!

But in front of others? Not in a big group? It does become more difficult for me. My nervousness increases and I'm bound to make more mistakes. Lots more than when I'm singing in a group of 5 or more. I rarely ever do solos. Duets I can handle a little more because there is another voice besides my own. But depending on the song, sometimes it is just my own voice for a little bit. A lady in my ward who I don't know very well got paired up with me, we decided to sing a beautiful arrangement of "Still, Still, Still", if you have never heard it before, I urge you to listen to it. This song wasn't so difficult with the words and a bit of the tune as I have sung it before when I was in the Institute Choir at SLCC called Sounding Joy. But with it being only a 2 part, SA, it was different. I had to work hard to get the notes and rhythms right.

The night of the Christmas party I was a bundle of nerves and was terrified of messing up. The sweet lady who was singing with me, told me I would be fine and told me she had prayed for me!! I was amazed that she had done that for me!! I felt horrible to realize I had not prayed for help either on me singing my part, or to help me calm down, or I didn't think about praying for her or our accompanist.  She and another friend helped me run through my trouble spot in the song and calmed me down. We ended up doing fantastic, I still made mistakes, but continued on anyway without sounding too bad. The end of the night, I thought about what we had just done. Sharing our talents with others. Even though it scares the crap out of me to do something like that, I had been given this gift for a reason and not sharing it wouldn't be a kind thing to do for my Heavenly Father who had given it to me.

Wanted to share this video with you that I watched that night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrLoWt2tfqg

2 comments:

  1. Good job! I always pray when I'm going to be doing anything musical at church...I don't aim to be the star, I'm fine with fading into the background, but I don't want to do anything to take away from the Spirit...that is what I pray for. And then, for the times when I'm still nervous, I pretend that Gma and Uncle Mark are sitting on the back row, because even if I mess up, they'll still be smiling and proud of me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doh! Now I guess it's Gma and Gpa...can you tell I'm still in a bit of denial about my dad? Love you...

    ReplyDelete